Translate

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It is indeed a desirable thing to be well-descended, but the glory belongs to our ancestors. Plutarch

May 15, 2012 It has been almost a week since I last posted an entry on this blog. I have been busy still working on my new website (Sammy's Angels Miracle Network), working in the garden, and working around the house on small projects. I have also gone to the movies and window shopping a local antique shops. Since my cancer cure after surgery on April 3, 2012 I have been experiencing a renewed sense of self and purpose. I have also been researching my ancestory on my father's side of the family. My father's father and mother came from Eastern Europe (Poland)in 1907 and 1910. They met at Coney Island in New York. I know a great deal about my grandmother's family but almost nothing about my grandfather's family. I would like to travel to Poland one day to meet any remaining family and learn more about my grandfather and his family. Records of my grandfather and grandmother entering America can be found at Ancestory.com. The records show the date, time, ship, and port of departure for each of them. Poland is the country listed as the place where they were came from when they came to this country. However, I do not know anything about where in Poland each of them were born and raised. So, I have been doing research to find out this information and any other information that will help me learn more about my roots. I have often wondered if and to what extent, World War II had on the family members who did not choose to immigrate to America. Did any of them survive the war? Were any of them killed or imprisoned in a concentration camp when the Nazi's invaded Poland? Were any of them imprisoned in the Warsaw Ghetto? What is the remaining family like now? Who are they? What are their professions? So many questions. After my grandparents were married in New Jersey, they moved to a small coal mining town in Pennsylvania. My grandfather worked in the mines around Port Carbon and Minersville. Rumor has it he died of the Black Lung. Over the years, no one ever talked about the old country or any relatives who might have been living there. No one ever talked about my grandfather or his family. I had three aunts and seven uncles yet not one of them ever metioned having any family in Poland. So, my quest continues to find out information on my own. Hopefully, one day, I will visit Poland and find answers to my questions, or maybe find a few relatives. Sammy's Angels Miracle Network is now on line accepting donations. Click the link that will take you to this website from this blog to see what we have going on right now.