Translate

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the Lord delivers him in times of trouble. Psalms 41:1,2

April, 24, 2012 Another beautiful morning in Austin, Texas. The temperature early this morning was 48 degrees. Today, I am getting out of the house and enjoying the beautiful weather. My babies are laying on their kitty condos watching the birds in the backyard. I heard on the news today that Social Security benefits are expected to run out in the year 2033. I was disappointed to hear this but not surprised. There was a time in our country when older, retired American could depend on their retirement payments, good health care, and Social Security. Not anymore. I see more and more older people working in service jobs, who should be enjoying their golden years in retirement. There is a 90 years old man who served in World War II, a decorated veteran, working as a grocery bagger at a local store. Other elderly people work in retirement years to be able to afford their medication. This was unheard of in the 1950’s. I was born in 1953. Eisenhower was president. The country was 8 years out of the Second World War, the economy was in far better shape than it is today, and America was the top country in the world. The computer was only a fantasy of sci-fi dreamers, the telephone was dominating the market as the best way to communicate over distance, and industries were still the driving economic force in our country. Now, Japan owns a large percentage of America businesses and commercial real estate. North Korea and India are developing nuclear powered missiles, very few thing we purchase are made in America, and the unemployment lines still wrap around the outside of the buildings. When I was growing up, a politician who surface in the public eye for participation in a scandal could count on his/her career ending in a very bad way. Today, even if they lose their position or office, they write a book that brings them millions, a movie is made about their exploits launching them into instant star status, and their reputations are barely scathed. As a child, I was afraid to do anything wrong for fear of the wrath of my parents, God, and the police. Kids today welcome a good fight, their parents defend them to the death as the victim, and then the kids turn on their parents if they don’t get what they want. Behavior modification back then for infraction was going to bed without dessert, apologizing to the neighbor, no allowance for a week, grounded for two weeks, no television for a month, or doing a job over and over again until you got it right. Behavior modification today is for parents not their children. Parents now have to make changes in their lives to keep the kids happy by working extra jobs (if they can find the work) to pay for cell phones, new computers, violent video games, and any of the other latest tech or clothing trends. Did you ever think you would ever pay $4.00 for a gallon of gas? In 1972 I had a Volkswagen Beetle that I could fill up with $4.00 in gas. Now I pay $40.00 for a half tank of gas. I’m beginning to sound like my parents. One thing that has never changed over the years is the love the Lord has for us. I am living proof of this love as a cancer survivor. I thank the Lord every day for the miracle with which he blessed me. I have a whole new lease on life. My energy level is slowly increasing. I am sleeping better a night and less during the day. My interest in everyday life is renewed. My faith stronger than ever. I am one of the fortunate ones. During my doctor’s visits, I saw many other cancer patients in different phases of their treatment. Some were beginning treatments, some were at the end, and many had lost their hair. However, they all had one thing in common-the will to live. Many talked about their jobs, their children, their grandchildren, or their church as the reason that keeps them going to treatments. They become sick from the treatments, lose their appetites, and miss time from work. Many did not have full coverage with through their health insurance and worried about getting better to work extra jobs to pay the medical bills. Still others were sent to a charity hospital because they had no health insurance at all. I have heard that the Lord never gives us more than we can handle. This doesn’t mean that we have to handle our trials without help. I asked for prayers to help me through my trial. I sought help from neighbors and friends. Without their support the road to recovery would have been much more difficult. As a result of my meeting and talking to so many cancer patients who needed financial assistance, I have started a non-profit website: Sammy’s Angels Miracle Network The website is almost ready to go on-line. Just a few more adjustments and it will be ready. The sole purpose of Sammy’s Angels Miracle Network is to raise money through donations for identified individuals with life altering illnesses who need financial support to pay medical bills or household related bills. Each individual will be identified, along with the amount of their financial needs. The site will seek donations to pay the medical bills and other expenses directly. Donations will also be sought through local fund raising events. If you know of someone who needs financial assistance through a difficult health crisis, get all the information you can about their needs, then when the website is up and running, send the information to the email address on the website. We will contact that individual to see what kind of financial assistance we can provide.