Translate

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end they are new every morning. Lamentations 3:22-23

April 17, 2012 I had a good day today. I mowed the front yard, trimmed, edged, spread fertilizer, and watered. I also planted several plants in a hanging pot on the back patio. I have catnip growing for my babies. Did you know catnip is used in cooking? Yep. It has a lemon-mint flavor. Tomorrow I am going to plant an Orleander (pink blooms). I love working in the yard. This afternoon another stray cat found his way into my back yard. Just what I need….another cat. No. I am not adopting this one. Alex (my orange/white tabby) seems to like him. Scout does not like him and chased him out of the back yard several times. My girls didn’t leave the house all day. They just watched him from the windows along the back of the house. This cat is an unneutered male, wild, crazy, and is looking for a home. I hope he finds one. The weather today was beautiful. The sky was blue and clear. The temperature was cool with a nice gentle breeze. Days like these make me happy I'm alive. I like to ride my bike early in the morning. In the country, mornings are fascinating. There is a light fog that hangs over the pastures giving a sense of mystery and awe. The sun rising in the east, streaks the sky with various shades of orange that mix withgray, blues, and white. As I ride, the cool morning air rushes past my face, gently brushing my cheeks. I feel alive. I'm happy. The breeze blows through the corn stalks, milo, and wheat the ranchers grow to feed their cattle. I ride past pastures of mother cows grazing with their babies, long horn cattle with horn spreads that makes Texans proud, and goats with their new born kids running after them. Nothing compare to the peace and quiet I experience in the mornings. Until I was diagnosed with cancer, I never gave much thought to a sunrise or sunset, except that the sun blinded me on my way to work and back home. Sad. I missed so many beautiful things in life during my daily routine. Get up while it is still dark, get dressed, go to work, go home in the dark, work on school stuff at night, go to bed, then repeat it all for the rest of the work week. Saturdays and Sundays I slept. I kept telling myself that I’ll enjoy life when I retire. Then,I was diagnosed with melanoma. Wow, how things changed. Now, I wouldn’t miss a sunrise for all of the coffee in Columbia. I don’t complain anymore about the sun getting in my eyes. As I drive, I thank God for the beautiful day, even if it is raining. Every day the Lord gives us whether it is raining, fog, hail, windy, hot or cold, is a gift. As I ride my bike, I take the time to stop and look around me. So many times I just rushed passed truly beautiful things in nature on my way to “more important things.” I take pictures of the sunrise or sunset,cows in the pastures and their babies, birds, flowers, trees, and anything, that catches my eye. We are all truly blessed if we have good health, a nice place to live, food on our tables, a job, good transportation, friends, and a family. Collecting material things that we can never take with us when our Lord calls us (like I use to do), or spending money we don’t have (like I used to do), drove a wedge between the Lord and I. I didn’t think I needed anything else, just money and things. I am so happy the Lord opened my eyes to what is really important in this life-serving Him, living for Him, and helping others. On your way to work tomorrow, slow down a little. Stop to look at the sky before you get into your car. Look at your home. Take note of all of the good memories made in that home. Admire your yard, even if it is not landscaped. Hug and kiss your cat or dog, kids, wife, mother in law....maybe not in that order but do it. Don’t forget, say a prayer. Don’t just thank the Lord for all He has given you. Worship and praise Him for his power, love, guidance, forgiveness, and healing. We are not alone. The Lord is always with us. When we are finally called to be with Jesus in heaven, we will not be strangers to Him. He knew us before we were even born. He is simply calling us home. Tomorrow, April 18, 2012 will mark the the 19th aniversary of my brother Tom's death. He was 47 years old when he died.