Translate

Thursday, March 15, 2012

"Behold, the Lord's hand is not so short that it cannot save; nor is His ear so dull that it cannot hear." Isaiah 59.1

March 14, 2012

This morning I was searching the internet for information on rare forms of melanoma trying to figure out what form I had. I believe it is Nodular Melanoma, a rare form of this type of cancer. The treatment regime is the same for all melanomas: surgery to remove the cancer cells, radiation therapy, chemotherapy usually in combination with other types of therapies and immunotherapy. I found out that there are three types of rare melanomas: Acral Lentigenous, Nodular Melanoma, and Lentigo Melanoma.
Acral Lentigenous
Nodular Nelanoma
Lentigo Melanoma
My melanoma began on the surface of my back with a mole, but not all melanoma begins with mole. Some can grow in areas of the back where there is no mole. Mole or not, the cancer in this type of melanoma grows deep into the skin quiet rapidly. I suspect this is exactly what happened to me based on how I am feeling. My left arm, shoulder, leg, and knee have been aching for several weeks. I suspect the cancer has spread to this area. Sometime I have difficulty breathing. I have to struggle to breathe. I suspect the cancer has also spread to this area. Lately, I have been getting severe headaches. I hope the cancer has not spread to this area but may very well have. I will be getting the results of the dye test done yesterday from the surgeon next week. Then, I will have a much better idea of what is ahead fo me.


My older brother died of a rare form of cancer (Neurofibromatosis). There are two forms of this type of cancer: benign where the tumors grow outside of the body, and malignant, where the tumors grow along nerves and just under the skin inside the body. My brother had the malignant form. He actually died of a heart attack due to the tumors growing around his heart, not allowing it to function properly. Now, I have this rare form of melanoma. Wow! My family would be great participants in any cancer research study: pancreatic cancer, melanoma, breast cancer, brain cancer, lung cancer, and whatever form of cancer my brother had.
At any rate, melanoma is a rare form of skin cancer that takes has a 90% mortality rate in the United States. Although there is promising research being done, the prognosis is still grim.
I had enough energy to mow the front and back yards, and trim the from this evening. Then, I sat on the back patio with my cats and little dog. We enjoys the cool breeze, quiet neighborhood, and soft patio lights. The babies were hunting for bugs. After a while I became tired. I took a shower, then went to bed to read before I slept. I remembered that I sent my cousin a letter asking for her email address, and that I had noted posted my blog. I would post in the morning.
My sleep was peaceful last night. The babies also slept peacefully.

- make up for about 70% of melanomas, and can be found on a person’s face.
- make up for about 20% of melanomas, and can be found on a person’s back and chest.
- makes of for about 10% of melanomas, and can be found on a person’s hand and feet.