Translate

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lord, I Needed A Little Wake Up Call, Not A Loud Slap In The Lymph Nodes

March 7, 2012

After talking to the doctor yesterday I have more information regarding my condition. On
a scale of I - IV, the cancerous mole removed from my back is between II and III. They
call that intermediary. It was 1.8mm in size. I will have surgery to have what they call
a wide band cut around the site where the mole was removed (about 1-2 cm in diameter).
This will remove any cancerous tissue left on the surface of the skin around the mole
site. Then, they move on to the the lymph nodes. First the Sentinel Nodes. They are the
"guards" of the lymph node system. They will be removed. Then, on to the lymph nodes past
the guards that need to be removed. The nodes removed with be sent to a lab for cancer
confirmation before they do a second operation to remove nodes around the cancerous nodes
they removed. From there they will devise a treatment plan.

At any rate, the life expectancy is about 5 years.

I cannot emphasis to people how important it is to have regular health check-ups, eat a healthy diet, exercise and take advantage of any prevention services that your health care provider, doctor, local clinic, etc, can provide. USE SUNBLOCK OR SUNSCREEN WHEN YOU ARE IN THE SUN. Melanoma is cause be EXCESSIVE exposure to ultraviolet rays. If you are a sun bather or go to a tanning bed, think twice about the risks your are taking. Melanoma also has a genetic componant. If someone else in your family has melanoma, don't think it can't happen to you.

I use to think I had all the time in the world to take care of personal and financial business, so that when I died, my house would be in order. Now, I face a crunch in time to get things done, I could have taken care of years ago. Now is the time, no matter how old you are, if you are working you must plan for your future. You are the person solely responsible for taking care of you and your financial security. You need health insurance, life insurance, a will, a directive to the phsycian or a Living Will,  plans made to take care of your pets, your children, your spouse, and any other significant person in your life. If you have not been close to God, seek Him out. It's all true! The Bible, God, Jesus's sacrifice of His life so that we may be saved and our sins forgiven, Heaven, Hell, all of it. All true. Get your housee in order today! My only concern now is making sure my four cats and little dog are taken care of after I die. Once I have made these arrangements, I can  live the rest of my days out in peace, serving the Lord. I can also rst in peace once I pass over.

Sleep last night was peaceful. Babies slept well also. Today is overcast. Babies are playing in the backyard. I am emailing friend with doctor's results. I am not as tired today. My back and left side ache a little bit, enough to know there is something inside of  me that is wrong. The most frustrating part is knowing how healthy I was in the past. Walking, kayaking, running with seemingly endless energy. I thought I would be young forever. Them, when I started to move through my late forties and fifties, menopause set in and my body began to change. I started gaining weight so much so that my size went from a petitie 8 to a woman's 16. Wow!! I began to have trouble walking, breathing, sleeping. After menopause I notice a decline in my energy level but attributed the decline to the changes that had taken place in my body. When I finally decided to look into Hormone Replacement Therapy (years later), I believed the HRT would be my miracle cure for my low energy level. Then, the doctor called me with the results of the lab work done on the mole removed from my back. I did not see that coming. One the day I was to receive my first hormone treatment, I met with my cancer surgeon to discuss the next steps in cancer journey.  With this news, it seemed like someone threw a switch that changed the course of my life from the happy tracks I was on to a whole new ride.